Monday, October 15, 2012

Latest trip to NY! I'm about that Tea..


New York! Concrete Jungle where dreams are made of.. 

I always have a wonderful time when I travel to NY. As soon as I get off the plane I can feel the energy in the air. I begin to walk a little faster, I'm excited, I'm on a mission! I find inspiration from talking to strangers, family and friends, from what  I see and how I feel. I love the fashion that comes with the change of seasons. People seem to have their own sense of style and there is a hustlers spirit in the people. Only the strong survive here, after all if you can make it here you can make it anywhere! 
During this trip I was in the market for some new Teas to try. I absolutely love tea! I drink it every morning along with a glass of water. Usually Green Tea is my preference in the morning, it tastes delicious and it gets my metabolism going right away. While in my favorite tea shop near Chinatown, I met a man from Trinidad and Tobago. He was sitting having a pot of tea himself and said that I should try Pu-erh Tea. He said it's a very old tea and has many medicinal properties. The man behind the counter grabbed a big glass container and opened it for me to have a smell. It smelled like dirt, old dirt, and cost $8/oz (loose leaf). I bought 1oz to give it a try. I also bought one of my staples (Jazmine Pearls) another of the Green Tea varieties, Dragonwell Green Tea and 2oz of Lavender Flowers (great for relaxation) 
When I got back to Brooklyn I immediately put a pot of water on to boil, I wanted to try this ancient tea right away! I also looked online to see what kind of information I could find on Pu-erh Tea,
 and I found a lot. 
The way I drink tea is just to grab a pinch of the leaves and throw them in my favorite mug or pot, then pour boiling water over them and steep. I don't ever remove the leaves I just drink as they sink to the bottom. Whole tea leaves can be reused 2-3 times, so I refill a couple times with the same leaves. It's rare that I sweeten my tea (but if I do) it's with a little Agave Nectar, Honey or even Pure Maple Syrup.

Dragon Well Green Tea




 Jazmine Pearls (Green)




Pu-erh Tea





2 comments:

  1. Another one I've tried aside from Green tea is a tulsi tea fomr Mercola, at first I'm not really convinced by it but when my mother got well by drinking this tea. Do they have one there at NY? Or do you know restaurant that serves this kind of tea? I'm planning to go there next week though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hanna

    I am not familiar with tulsi tea, from what i have read it is an east Indian tea. Most of the tea I drink is Chinese or Japanese. I'm sure this tulsi tea is great and wonderful for the body, they all have great qualities. The shop in NY probably doesn't have that tea because it is an Asian Market. But you should be able to find it online for sure..Let me know if you are able to find it :)

    ReplyDelete